Home Cuisine Landscape and nature Architecture and art Sport Accommodation Visiting Gadget Learning Arts and Crafts The way we were Organized tours Home Cucina Paesaggio e natura Arti e Mestieri Sport Accoglienza Visitare Gadget A scuola di... Architettura e arte Come eravamo Tour organizzati
Italiano
English
Visiting
Visiting
Visita il Mugello, culla dei Medici, a due passi da Firenze e le bellezze toscane
 

Visiting Tuscany

 

 
 

Barberino Val d'Elsa

Town web Hotels Farmholidays Restaurants

Inhabitants in 1991: 3.542

The territory of Barberino Val d'Elsa extends for 65,88 square kilometres on the hills which separate the valleys della Pesa and dell'Elsa. It originated as Medieval Podesta Office in the XIII century; became Seat of the community in 1774 undergoing many changes to its borders in the course of the centuries, until reaching its present day aspect in 1892, when the districts of Tavernelle, Sambuca and San Donato in Poggio were removed to constitute the new municipality of Tavernelle (becoming Tavarnelle Val di Pesa in 1909).

The first historical mention of the town name of Barberino goes back to 1054, but the community draws its official origins from the destruction of the nearby Semifonte (1202), when the Fiorentina republic deemed it opportune to set up and maintain this castle in an area for the most part dominated by powerful and rebellious feudal lineages, first among these were the Alberti Counts. the strategic aim of this settlement is still documented by the presence of walls (end XIII - beginning XIV centuries) with the two gates at the extremes of the village, which was once crossed by the Via Romana (the present day Via Cassia which hugs it on the eastern side).

A small "spedale dei pellegrini" (Pilgrims Hospital) built in 1365, testifies to the importance of the town as an ancient stop over point, half way between Firenze and Siena. In 1313, after the castle had been occupied by Arrigo VII, the Fiorentino government organised the unification of the two distinct administrations of San Donato in Poggio and Barberino allocating to the latter a residence of a rector dependent on the Fiorentino Podesta; Barberino was than declared capital of the Podesta Office, in the first place under the Vicariate of Certaldo, then under that of Colle. Among its illustrious sons are remembered Francesco di Neri Poet and Jurisconsul who died in 1348. In the surrounds of the capital there are areas of notable historic importance such as Marcialla (Market of the Castle of Pogna destroyed by the Fiorentini in 1184) and the castles of Tignano, Lipari and Vico d'Elsa.

Places to visit:
Palazzo Pretorio, placed in the central square it exhibits coats of arms from the XV century and after on its facade.
Spedale dei Pelligrini, 1300s building hosting the Community Library
S. Bartolomeo, church in neo-Gothic style by Giuseppe Castellucci.

Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Picture by Sandro Santioli
Translated by Ann Mountford

 
 
 
   
 
return to top of page
   
       
  Terra di Toscana

© All rights reserved Polimedia di Laura Fumoni
Via Landucci 39 - 50136 - Firenze - P.IVA 05575950489 - REA C.C.I.A.A. FIRENZE N. 559547
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia

 
  Advertising | About us | Contacts | Site search | Copyright | Privacy | Cookie policy