Home Cuisine Landscape and nature Architecture and art Sport Accommodation Visiting Gadget Learning Arts and Crafts The way we were Organized tours Home Cucina Paesaggio e natura Arti e Mestieri Sport Accoglienza Visitare Gadget A scuola di... Architettura e arte Come eravamo Tour organizzati
Italiano
English
Visiting
Visiting
Visita il Mugello, culla dei Medici, a due passi da Firenze e le bellezze toscane
 

Visiting Tuscany

 

 
 

Towns of the area

2 / 39

Anghiari

Town web Hotels Farmholidays Restaurants

Inhabitants in 1991 : 5,877

The Municipal territory of Anghiari extends from the slopes of the Catanaia Alps to the plains of the Val Tiberina for 130,58 square kilometres, for the most part hilly. A staging post where the road from Romagne led into the Casentino before the opening of the easier route of the Via dello Scopetone at the end of the 1500s. At first it was a feudal centre, therefore a free municipality and then became a Vicariate : capital of the municipality by decree of Pietro Leopoldo in 1776.

The castle of Anghiari, noted in documents of the X and XI century as “castrum Anulare” or “Anglare”, was originally the feudal of Count Galbino, a branch of the family of Barbolani di Montauto. Donated by them in 1104 to the Hermitage of Camaldoli, under the jurisdiction of the monks in was able to develop, enjoying a certain liberty provided by the municipal by-laws of the XIII century. This sort of autonomy ceased in 1322 when the Tarlati di Pietramala became Lords of Anghiari, and remained thus until 1384 (with the exception of the years 1339-1352 when the dominion passed to the municipal of Perugia). Eventually in 1385 Anghiari come under the protection of Firenze who chose it as See of a Vicariate comprising nearly the whole of the territory which was previously feudal to the Tarlati ; and in 1440 at Anghiari there was the pitched battle which sanctioned definitively the possession by Firenze of all the Casentino and the Toscana Val Tiberina, and the end of the Visconti threats to the region. Under the dominion of the Medici it realised a significant economic and cultural revival, competing with Borgo San Sepolcro for the supremacy of the most important centre of the Toscan Val Tiberina.

Places to visit
Santa Maria delle Grazie XVIII century Provost ‘s house , the interior is rich with valuable works of art, among which a great terracotta with glass panel by Andrea della Robbia.
Palazzo Pretorio, now the town hall, built in the 1300s decorated with frescos and coats of arms in stone and terracotta, is situated in the medieval Piazza del Popolo
La Badia, church founded by the Camaldolesi in 1104-5, with a singularly symmetric interior.
Palazzo Taglieschi, a building for the unification of house-towers during the Renaissance period, it houses the State Museum, a collection of paintings, sculpture and architectural fragments ; all significant pieces from the Anghiari area and from the Val Tiberina.
S. Agostino, Founded in the first half of the XIII century, it holds some precious marble fonts.
Santa Croce, XVI century church with an interior ornate with valuable art works.

Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford

 
 
 
   
 
return to top of page
   
       
  Terra di Toscana

© All rights reserved Polimedia di Laura Fumoni
Via Landucci 39 - 50136 - Firenze - P.IVA 05575950489 - REA C.C.I.A.A. FIRENZE N. 559547
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia

 
  Advertising | About us | Contacts | Site search | Copyright | Privacy | Cookie policy