Inhabitants in 1991: 2.793
municipal territory is situated in Val di Cecina, on the extreme offshoot
of the Metalliferous Hills; it is comprised on one part by hills
and one part by coastal plain, and has a surface area of 65,55 square
kilometres. It reached its present day aspect when the district of Cecina
was detached and constituted in autonomous municipality.
Medieval castle, first property of the Abbey of Santa Maria in
Vico Masio (o Mansio), then of the Lucca Cathedral, around the XII century
it became possession of the Lordship of the Gherardesca Counts,
who fortified it and when the municipality of Pisa affirmed its jurisdiction,
it obtained the Vacariate. Capital of the community since the XIII century
Bibbona had a greater autonomy than the other communities of the Val di
Cecina, so much so that in 1345 it had the strength to rebel
against the local representatives of the power of Pisa. Undergoing,
in 1371, a hard siege by the mercenary troops of John Hawkwood,
it remained however under the political dominion of the Tyrrhenian republic
until 1406, the year in which it was incorporated into the Fiorentino
State. There followed the events of Toscana passing under the
French domination in 1801. In 1815 in was re-annexed to the Grand Duchy
, of which it was a part until the Unity of Italy.
|Places to visit:
Palazzo Gardini, imposing 1700
building, it was decorated externally by Luigi Ademollo.
Maria della Pietà, church erected at the end of the 1400s.
Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford