Inhabitants in 1991: 15.285
Municipal territory of Borgo San Lorenzo in Val di Sieve, at the centre
of the Mugello Valley, extends in plain, hills and mountains for 146,15
square kilometres. It was an antique Medieval Podesta Office and
in 1774 Pietro Leopoldo confirmed its jurisdiction over 23 cliques and
It formed itself as a village around the plebian church of
San Lorenzo, was ceded by the feudal lineage of Ubaldini to
the Firenze Episcopate towards the middle of the X century. It remained
at length under the dominion of the Fiorentini Bishops, the villagers
began to reclaim their independence in 1222, and managed to obtain
it in stages, until 1272 when the nth revolt decreed the
end of the civil rule by the Bishop. But the full independence
did not last long, since in 1290 Firenze acquired from the Episcopate
the rights over Borgo and the other lands of the Mugello for 3,000 gold
florins. Faithful to Firenze and to Guelfism Borgo had to
submit several times in the following decade to attacks by enemies
of the capital who invaded the countryside arriving from the north:
in 1303 it was invaded by the Ghibellini from Romagna united
to the escaping Fiorentini and again in 1312 by the Ubaldini. To
partly remedy this, profiting by the Visconti menace, Firenze decided
in 1351 to encircle it again with more solid walls and towers and
the first statutes of the municipality were compiled in 1374.
In 1529 it suffered the occupation of the Imperial troops.
Gravely damaged by an earthquake in 1919, new lacerations and bereavements
with the coming of Fascism. After 8 September 1943, the clandestine
antifascist activity was brought into the open and the partisan activity
was intense. the 30 December 1943 Borgo suffered a disastrous bombardment
by the English Airforce (200 dead) and others again in the following
months, aggravated then by the destruction by the Nazifascists in retreat.
In the course of the last two decades the capital has particularly developed
confirming itself as the most popularised centre of the Mugello.
|Places to visit:
Palazzo Pretorio, today the
Seat of the Community Library, rebuilt in 1935 has its facade covered
with coats of arms in stone and terracotta of the various Podestas.
S. Lorenzo. antique parish church from 1263 built on a
preceding installation, was gravely damaged in the 1919 earthquake
and rebuilt with antique material in 1922/39. The three nave interior
houses exquisite works of art, in demonstration of the importance
that the church had in the past.
Sanctuary of SS. Crocefisso
dei Miracoli, a 1700s installation, it was rebuilt after the earthquake
Historical info reproduced upon authorization of
Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e
Picture by Sandro Santioli
Translated by Ann Mountford