Home Cuisine Landscape and nature Architecture and art Sport Accommodation Visiting Gadget Learning Arts and Crafts The way we were Organized tours Home Cucina Paesaggio e natura Arti e Mestieri Sport Accoglienza Visitare Gadget A scuola di... Architettura e arte Come eravamo Tour organizzati
Italiano
English
Visiting
Visiting
Visita il Mugello, culla dei Medici, a due passi da Firenze e le bellezze toscane
 

Visiting Tuscany

 

 
 

Towns of the area

4 / 20

Campo nell'Elba

Hotels Farmholidays Restaurants

Inhabitants in 1991: 4.274

The municipal territory extends for 55.65 square kilometres in the south western part of the Island of Elba, it also comprises the island of Pianosa. It was constituted in autonomous municipality in 1894, with the aggregation of four districts detached from the municipality of Marciana Marina. The municipal Seat is at Marina di Campo.

Already inhabited in the prehistoric period and then in the Roman era, this area must have been one of the most densely populated in Elba during the Medieval, as is proven by the notable dimensions of the parish church of San Giovanni Battista (sec. XII-XIII), situated half way up the hill of Monte Perone, in a position dominating the villages of San Piero and Sant’Ilario. And it is these two high settlements of Medieval origin which constituted, before the more recent development of Marina di Campo, the principal centres of the municipal territory. Pianosa, also already inhabited from the Neolithic era and in Roman times Seat of the Beautiful Villa di Agrippa Postumio, belonging in the Medieval to Pisa (and which Genova sacked more than once). Passed to the Appiani, it was depopulated in 1553, after the nth Saracen invasion. Repopulated in 1635 under the Toscano Grand Duchy, it was an agricultural colony and then from 1856 a penal colony, the function which it holds today. At Campo nell’Elba the composer Giuseppe Pietri (1886-1946) was born.

Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford

 
 
 
   
 
return to top of page
   
       
  Terra di Toscana

© All rights reserved Polimedia di Laura Fumoni
Via Landucci 39 - 50136 - Firenze - P.IVA 05575950489 - REA C.C.I.A.A. FIRENZE N. 559547
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia

 
  Advertising | About us | Contacts | Site search | Copyright | Privacy | Cookie policy