Home Cuisine Landscape and nature Architecture and art Sport Accommodation Visiting Gadget Learning Arts and Crafts The way we were Organized tours Home Cucina Paesaggio e natura Arti e Mestieri Sport Accoglienza Visitare Gadget A scuola di... Architettura e arte Come eravamo Tour organizzati
Italiano
English
Visiting
Visiting
Visita il Mugello, culla dei Medici, a due passi da Firenze e le bellezze toscane
 

Visiting Tuscany

 

 
 

Towns of the area

4 / 28

Capalbio

Town web Hotels Farmholidays Restaurants

Inhabitants in 1991: 4.014

The municipal territory of Capalbio extends for 187,60 square kilometres in the coastal hills at the southern extreme of the Toscana Maremma. Originally incorporated in the territory of Manciano, from 1843 passed into the community of Orbetello. It was constituted as autonomous municipality in 1960. Cited for the first time in 1161 in a privilege by Pope Alessandro III in favour of the Roman Abbey of Sant’Anastasio at Tre Fontane, Capalbio followed, as did Orbetello, the matter of the patrimony of the religious body and subsequently of that part of the Aldobrandesca county that was subject, in the course of the XIII century to the contrasting political influences of Siena and Orvieto.

At the beginning of the 1300s the castle was under the dominion of a local family of Lords (probably descendants of Guido di Capalbio cited in an act of 1203), who in 1315 allied themselves with Orvieto against the Aldobrandeschi of Santa Fiora and the Baschi di Montemerano.

The political authority of Orvieto lessened, Capalbio was conceded to the republic of Siena between 1339 and 1345 by the Aldobrandeschi di Santa Fiora, but subsequently fell under the dominion of the Orsini. With the military campaign of 1416 it was conquered definitely by Siena, so that its history is tied to the successive rise of the republic. During the resistance the so called “Banda Armata Maremma” (Maremma Armed Band) was formed at Capalbio, which operated in the area and liberated the municipality on 13 June 1944.

Places to visit:
The walled village, of Medieval era still intact
Palazzo Collacchioni, from the early 1900s was built on the ruins of the Aldobrandesca Fortress.
Oratorio della Provvidenza fuiori le mura, renaissance church with a small portico, has an interesting chapel with murals in the interior.
S. Nicola, archpriesthood of XII-XIII century, has murals in the interior.

Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford

 
 
 
   
 
return to top of page
   
       
  Terra di Toscana

© All rights reserved Polimedia di Laura Fumoni
Via Landucci 39 - 50136 - Firenze - P.IVA 05575950489 - REA C.C.I.A.A. FIRENZE N. 559547
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia

 
  Advertising | About us | Contacts | Site search | Copyright | Privacy | Cookie policy