Inhabitants in 1991: 754
territory of Careggine in the Garfagnana, extends for 24,46 square kilometres
on the sloping Apuano, occupying in part a tier of the right hand slopes
of the river Edron which overlooks the artificial lake of Vagli.
Careggine, cited with its parish church in ecclesiastic documents
of Lucca in VIII century was dominated by the da Careggine, local
Lords who had had power over the most part of the Gargagnana Apuana
since the XIII century. From XV century it belonged to the Estensi
and with the exception of the Napoleonic period, remained under their
authority until the annexation to the realm of Italy, when with the
other towns of the Garfagnana it was aggregated to the province of Massa
where it remained until 1923.
Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford