Home Cuisine Landscape and nature Architecture and art Sport Accommodation Visiting Gadget Learning Arts and Crafts The way we were Organized tours Home Cucina Paesaggio e natura Arti e Mestieri Sport Accoglienza Visitare Gadget A scuola di... Architettura e arte Come eravamo Tour organizzati
Italiano
English
Visiting
Visiting
Visita il Mugello, culla dei Medici, a due passi da Firenze e le bellezze toscane
 

Visiting Tuscany

 

 
 

Towns of the area

9 / 43

Castelfiorentino

Town web Hotels Farmholidays Restaurants

Inhabitants in 1991: 17.155

The territory of the Municipal of Castelfiorentino extends for 66.56 square kilometres in Val d'Elsa in a hilly area. Medieval Podesta Office, it suffered in the course of the centuries several adjustments to its extension and became Seat of the community in 1774, reaching its present day aspect in 1876 with the aggregation of the districts of Castelnuovo and Colano, detached from the municipal of Montaione.

The first nucleus of Castelfiorentino was the castle situated where, in present times, the highest point of the town is positioned, overhanging the village of Timignano and it was nominated as such until 1149 when, in a document it was recorded for the first time as Castelfiorentino. Around the year 1000 it was a feudal possession of the Alberti Counts, but already at the beginning of the XII century the Firenze Bishops began to have jurisdiction and even though Federico Barbarossa in 1164 and Ottone IV in 1210 confirmed the Lordship to the Alberti, in actual fact the Fiorentino Episcopate continued to exercise full Lordship; the people tried more than once to free themselves of this subordination (and for this they were also affected by excommunication in 1218), but independence (if this is what it can be called) was acquired only towards the middle of the XIII century, when the centre and the surrounding territory entered under the guardianship of the Firenze republic becoming Seat of a Podesta and capital of one of the leagues into which the Fiorentino county was divided .Distressed more than once in the course of the 1300s by the invasions of the mercenary soldiers, the castle was annexed to the Episcopate of Certaldo in 1415. In 1495 Carlo VIII and il Savonarola met there, in 1529 Castelfiorentino suffered severe damage in the war which brought the Medici to the principality and, again molested from 1552 to 1557 in the course of the struggle to conquer Siena. Since then, a hardworking rural centre in the ambience of a by this time consolidated Toscano State, it had the fortune to not live anymore hard days.

Places to visit:
Piazza del Popolo, where there is the Town Hall and the college of Ss. Lorenzo and Leonardo, centre of the urban life in the Medieval era.
S. Verdiana, church dedicated to the Patron of the town; significant example of 1700s art and architecture. The bell tower was terminated in 1810. The interior designed by Poggini, houses a notable artistic patrimony.
Community Cultural Centre, position in Via Tilli, combines the Vallesiana Library. the Historic Archives, the Val d'Elsa Historic Society and the rich Collection of Community Arts.

Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford

 
 
 
   
 
return to top of page
   
       
  Terra di Toscana

© All rights reserved Polimedia di Laura Fumoni
Via Landucci 39 - 50136 - Firenze - P.IVA 05575950489 - REA C.C.I.A.A. FIRENZE N. 559547
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia

 
  Advertising | About us | Contacts | Site search | Copyright | Privacy | Cookie policy