in 1991: 2.105
municipality of Castell’Azzara extends for 64,72 square kilometres
in a mountainous zone between the valleys of Fiora and Paglia. Medieval
castle and Grand Duchy feudal, it was constituted in 1915 with the
detachment of the capital together with the districts of Selvena and Villa
Sforzesca from the municipality of Santa Fiora.
The castellum lazari is cited in an act of division of the Aldobrandeschi
assets in 1216, but we know nothing of the events surrounding it during
the XIII and XIV centuries. Included in the dominion of the Count Guido
di Santa Fiora, it was claimed on his death (1438) by the Siena republic.
Subsequently Castell’Azzara together with Montorio and Castell’Ottieri
passed under the direct dominion of the Baschi family, who in 1475
made an act of submission to the municipality of Siena. Two centuries
later, in 1690 the Baschi renewed the act of partnership to the Grand
Duke Cosimo III dei Medici. The dynasty extinct, the best part of
the assets placed in Casell’Azzara were inherited by the Siena nobles
The district of Selvena of notable historic importance and cited
for the first time in 833 in a document of the Abbey of Monte Amiata
passed under the dominion of the Asdobrandeschi of Siena and the Orsini,
and the Villa Sforzesca was built in 1580 by Cardinal Alessandro
Sforza with the intention of offering reception to the court of Gregorio
XIII. During the struggle for Liberation, the territory of Castell’Azzara
was theatre to the partisan activity.
|Places to visit:
Convent of SS. Trinità,
imposing complex founded in 1500. There is a Robbiana terracotta preserved
in the church.
Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford