Home Cuisine Landscape and nature Architecture and art Sport Accommodation Visiting Gadget Learning Arts and Crafts The way we were Organized tours Home Cucina Paesaggio e natura Arti e Mestieri Sport Accoglienza Visitare Gadget A scuola di... Architettura e arte Come eravamo Tour organizzati
Italiano
English
Visiting
Visiting
Visita il Mugello, culla dei Medici, a due passi da Firenze e le bellezze toscane
 

Visiting Tuscany

 

 
 

Towns of the area

11 / 43

Certaldo

Town web Hotels Farmholidays Restaurants

Inhabitants in 1991: 15.942

The Municipal territory of Certaldo extends for 75,24 square kilometres on the hills which form the watershed between the Val d'Elsa and the Val di Pesa. It had origins as a feudal castle and then municipality of a Podesta and Vicariate Seat until 1774 when it was made community with the Leopoldina reform.

Certaldo, one of the major centres of the Val d'Elsa originated towards the X century. It was feudal castle of the Alberti Counts and the first document which mentions it explicitly, a certificate by Federico Barbarossa, is in 1164; in 1184 Count Alberto degli Alberti imprisoned by the Fiorentini after the destruction of the Pogna Castle, committed himself, in exchange for his freedom, to knock down the tower of Certaldo ceding to Firenze the high dominion of the castle and reserving for himself only the tributes and alodial assets. But the definitive collapse for the Alberti Counts came soon after with the fall of Semifonte (1202): Certaldo also became incorporated in the Fiorentino county, becoming Seat of a Podesta and in 1415 finally Firenze made it Vicariate Capital of the Val di Pesa and of part of the Val d'Elsa and Valdarno Inferiore (1415); it is noted that from 1400 the castle was enlarged in accordance with its importance, it surrounded itself with solid walls, and raised the imposing Palazzo Pretorio on the place where in ancient times the residence of the Alberti Counts was sited.
In 1479 it was sacked by the soldiers of the King of Napoli and Pope Sisto IV, allied to Siena, but with the last republic and with the Grand Duchy it had a way of further developing, above all in the lower section called "village" born in ancient times as the Castle's market.
In 1784 Pietro Leopoldo suppressed the Vicariate, uniting it to that of San Miniato; in consequence of the decadence which then followed, the municipality managed to raise itself again only in the second half of the 1800s. During the second world war, between 1943 and 1944, it suffered losses and severe destruction. Postwar Certaldo rapidly recovered becoming an industrious agricultural and industrial centre. Famous locally is Giovanni Boccaccio, probably born in Firenze but of descendent from Certaldo who died here in 1375.

Places to visit:
Palazzo Stiozzi Ridolfi, of XIII century with an elegant courtyard with portico.
Palazzo Giannozzi, with 1300 and Renaissance structure
Palazzo Pretorio, only the keep remains from the original XII century structure, while the present day building is of 1400s the facade is enriched with heraldic shields.
Casa del Boccaccio, preserves few traces of the original Medieval structure. It was reconstructed in style after the bombardments of the last war.
Ss. Jacopo and Filippo, a convent complex with a small brick church from the 1200s.

Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Picture by Sandro Santioli
Translated by Ann Mountford

 
 
 
   
 
return to top of page
   
       
  Terra di Toscana

© All rights reserved Polimedia di Laura Fumoni
Via Landucci 39 - 50136 - Firenze - P.IVA 05575950489 - REA C.C.I.A.A. FIRENZE N. 559547
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia

 
  Advertising | About us | Contacts | Site search | Copyright | Privacy | Cookie policy