Home Cuisine Landscape and nature Architecture and art Sport Accommodation Visiting Gadget Learning Arts and Crafts The way we were Organized tours Home Cucina Paesaggio e natura Arti e Mestieri Sport Accoglienza Visitare Gadget A scuola di... Architettura e arte Come eravamo Tour organizzati
Italiano
English
Visiting
Visiting
Visita il Mugello, culla dei Medici, a due passi da Firenze e le bellezze toscane
 

Visiting Tuscany

 

 
 

Towns of the area

14 / 39

Crespina

Hotels Farmholidays Restaurants

Inhabitants in 1991: 3.241

The municipal territory extends for 26,97 square kilometres in a hilly region between the Val d’Era and the valley ridge of Collesalvetti. It was autonomous municipality from 1902 with the aggregation of the districts of Crespina, Tripalle and Cenaia detached from Fauglia.

Mentioned since the X century as castle placed under the jurisdiction of the Pisa Diocese, Crespina passed under that of Lucca in 1115. Occupied by the troops of the Pisa republic in 1165, it was restored to Lucca ten years later, but for a brief period, since in the XIII century it resulted as being included in the Pisa Captaincy of Colline Inferiori. During the XIV century it suffered repeated devastation and destruction by the Firenze troops at war with Pisa, the most important of these was the knocking down of the fortress in 1332. In 1405 after a long siege, it was conquered by the Fiorentini, who also successively had to maintain their dominion with arms, as is demonstrated by the attempted rebellion, concluded with the pulling down of the castle and the fortress, verified in 1431 during the expedition of Piccinino, commander of the army of the Duke of Milano at war with Firenze. Declared capital of Podesta office dependent of the Vicariate of Lari from 1415, it came under the jurisdiction of the Captaincy of Livorno in 1680. It was annexed in 1776 to the municipality of Fauglia and remained under that administration until the beginning of the 1900s. In common with many other municipalities in the Pisa province, Crespina was characterised from the first years of the 1900s by a strong socialist presence and it opposed the arrival and penetration of Fascism.

Places to visit:
S. Michele, ancient church which holds a precious tablet by Bernardo Daddi and other works of art.

Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford

 
 
 
   
 
return to top of page
   
       
  Terra di Toscana

© All rights reserved Polimedia di Laura Fumoni
Via Landucci 39 - 50136 - Firenze - P.IVA 05575950489 - REA C.C.I.A.A. FIRENZE N. 559547
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia

 
  Advertising | About us | Contacts | Site search | Copyright | Privacy | Cookie policy