Home Cuisine Landscape and nature Architecture and art Sport Accommodation Visiting Gadget Learning Arts and Crafts The way we were Organized tours Home Cucina Paesaggio e natura Arti e Mestieri Sport Accoglienza Visitare Gadget A scuola di... Architettura e arte Come eravamo Tour organizzati
Italiano
English
Visiting
Visiting
Visita il Mugello, culla dei Medici, a due passi da Firenze e le bellezze toscane
 

Visiting Tuscany

 

 
 

Towns of the area

12 / 43

Dicomano

Town web Hotels Farmholidays Restaurants

Inhabitants in 1991: 4.570

The Municipal territory of Dicomano extends for 61,76 square kilometres in the middle of Val di Sieve, reaching the Apennine crest with a narrow strip of its territory along the course of the Corella channel. Feudal land, then Podesta Office at the beginning of the XVI century, became community in 1774, reached its present day size in 1973 after having aggregated in 1893 the districts of Celle and Villa which were removed from the municipality of Vicchio and later having ceded, in both case to the advantage of Londa, the districts of Petroio and Vicorati in 1925 and another small portion of territory, for an adjustment of boundaries, in 1973.

The original nucleus of the town was perhaps that of a Roman settlement (this theme is sustained by certain etymologists and by the finding of tombs going back to the first century A.D.) and, abandoned following the first invasion, it could have been rebuilt by the Longobardi. Certainly the oldest documentation of this place is in 1103 with a leasing contract stipulated by the Bishop of Firenze with two persons, one of which was named Germanico. In 1220 Federico II ceded, as feudal, half the town and part of the surrounding territory to the Guidi Counts of the Guido Guerra branch; as Dicomano was a settlement without walls, for defence the Pozzo Castle was constructed on the hillock to the right of the parish church (traces of the castle's ruins are all that remain today) while the actual Dicomano had the means to develop as a market and road junction. In 1337 the Guidi Counts sold the castle to the Bardi and in 1375 the Fiorentina republic acquired the entire county. The community received notable benefits with the opening of the road for Forlì which was constructed by the Grand Duke Lorenesi (1824-59). In 1919 Dicomano was severely damaged by an earthquake.

Places to visit:
S. Maria, ancient parish church going back to the XI century, damaged several times by earthquakes and time and again restored until the last restoration in 1975. The bell tower is believed to the part of the Guidi Castle.

Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford

 
 
 
   
 
return to top of page
   
       
  Terra di Toscana

© All rights reserved Polimedia di Laura Fumoni
Via Landucci 39 - 50136 - Firenze - P.IVA 05575950489 - REA C.C.I.A.A. FIRENZE N. 559547
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia

 
  Advertising | About us | Contacts | Site search | Copyright | Privacy | Cookie policy