Home Cuisine Landscape and nature Architecture and art Sport Accommodation Visiting Gadget Learning Arts and Crafts The way we were Organized tours Home Cucina Paesaggio e natura Arti e Mestieri Sport Accoglienza Visitare Gadget A scuola di... Architettura e arte Come eravamo Tour organizzati
Italiano
English
Visiting
Visiting
Visita il Mugello, culla dei Medici, a due passi da Firenze e le bellezze toscane
 

Visiting Tuscany

 

 
 

Towns of the area

8 / 17

Fivizzano

Hotels Farmholidays Restaurants

Inhabitants in 1991: 10.258

The municipal territory, one of the largest in the province, extends for 180,23 square kilometres from the Appennini to the Apuane, it became autonomous community with the Leopoldine laws of 1771, it reached its present day extension in 1983 with the addition of the districts of Gragnolo and Cortila which were detached from Fosdinovo.

Inhabited by Ligurians and then Roman colonies, Fivizzano was, after the year one thousand, a land subjected to the dominion of the Marquises Malaspina della Verrucola, of whom the most illustrious member was Spinetta the Great (died in 1352), who tried to make the Verrucola the centre of a vast territorial system. With the death of the dynasty, in 1477 Fivizzano made itself a municipality and became part of the Fiorentino State. And becoming the Seat of a Captaincy. And thus remained – living prosperous times above all in the 15 and 1600s, when it assumed the form and habits of a true and real city – until the French domination, under which it was annexed to the department of the Appennini and then assigned in 1808 to Elisa Baciocchi Bonaparte. In 1815 it returned to the Grand Duchy of Toscana, but in 1844, at the realisation of certain clauses and against the will of the inhabitants it passed to the Duke of Modena, who governed it until the Unity of Italy. A disastrous earthquake hit the municipality in 1920. During the last conflict the local population suffered numerous and cruel Nazifascist reprisals with more than one civilian victim.

Places to visit:
Piazza Medicea, in the ancient inhabited nucleus, and surrounded by elegant Renaissance palaces with a fountain from 1683 at their centre.
Ss. Jacopo e Antonio, church erected in the 1300s and enlarged in the 1500s. the three nave interior is supported by imposing columns in Serena stone.

Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford

 
 
 
   
 
return to top of page
   
       
  Terra di Toscana

© All rights reserved Polimedia di Laura Fumoni
Via Landucci 39 - 50136 - Firenze - P.IVA 05575950489 - REA C.C.I.A.A. FIRENZE N. 559547
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia

 
  Advertising | About us | Contacts | Site search | Copyright | Privacy | Cookie policy