Inhabitants in 1991: 2.309
municipal territory of Gaiole in Chianti extends for 128,99 square kilometres
between the mountains of Chianti and the hills of the high Val d’Arbia.
It had its origins in the Medieval as the market to the Castles of
Vertine and Barbischio; it became Seat of Community with the Leopoldina
reforms in 1774.
Some historic news of the Gaiole land comes from 1086 in an act
of donation or leasing for the most part relative of the nearby Abbey
of Coltibuono; but it was only at the end of the XII century that
the village of Gaiole began to develop on the road which goes from
Valdarno to Chianti, as a connection point and place of exchange to
the nearby castles: and as a market it was recorded in a document
the construction in the middle of the XIII century of the Chianti League
by Firenze, Gaiole was affirmed as capital of one of the Thirds (the others
were Castellina and Radda), representing an important military base
for Firenze, from the middle of the 1400s until the Fiorentina conquest
of the Siena territory. In Gaiole’s territory there are still imposing
castles of extremely ancient origin: Brolio, possessed by the
Firidolfi-Ricasoli since 1172, completely reconstructed in 1564; Montegrossoli,
conquered by Firenze in 1172, coveted for its strategic position on the
crest between Valdarno and Chianti, of which today only remain impressive
ruins; Meleto, this was also in time possessed by the Firidolfi;
and also the noted Abbey of Coltibuono, one of the most important
Vallombrosani centres of the region, founded in XI century and in 1810
it became a privately owned farm.
|Places to visit:
Vertine, Medieval oval plan village, enclosed by walls of which
certain tracts remain.
S. Maria a Splatenna, this 1200s Romanic parish church is found
a short distance outside the town.
Historical info reproduced upon authorization of
Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e
Picture by Sandro Santioli
Translated by Ann Mountford