Inhabitants in 1991: 1.971
municipal territory has an extension of 5,76 square kilometres and is
formed in a semicircle inside a creek on the north west of the Island
of Elba, at the mouth of a valley in the slopes of Monte Capanne.
It was constituted in autonomous municipality in 1884, with the
aggregation of districts detached form the municipality of Marciana. In
1894, in its turn it suffered the amputation of the districts of Sant’Ilario
con Pila, San Piero in Campo, Marina di Campo and Pianosa, who formed
the municipality of Campo nell’Elba.
As far as its history is concerned its past economic news goes back
to Marciana, showing the two centres under the same administration at
|Places to visit:
The Pisa Tower, a cylindrical
construction of the XII century.
Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford