Home Cuisine Landscape and nature Architecture and art Sport Accommodation Visiting Gadget Learning Arts and Crafts The way we were Organized tours Home Cucina Paesaggio e natura Arti e Mestieri Sport Accoglienza Visitare Gadget A scuola di... Architettura e arte Come eravamo Tour organizzati
Italiano
English
Visiting
Visiting
Visita il Mugello, culla dei Medici, a due passi da Firenze e le bellezze toscane
 

Visiting Tuscany

 

 
 

Towns of the area

9 / 22

Marliana

Hotels Farmholidays Restaurants

Inhabitants in 1991: 2.405

The municipal territory of Marliana extends for 42,99 square kilometres in hills and medium mountains in the high Valdinievole. Fortified castle and Captain’s Seat, at the end of the 1500s it became part of the Podesta office of Larciano and Serravale, and was finally capital of the community with the Leopoldina reforms.

Surrounded by feudal possessions of the Guidi Counts (Momigno and Casore del Monte), the Counts of Capraia (Serra) and the Lords of Maona, the castle of Marliana was recorded for the first time in a document from 1128, with which the San Mato Monastery (dependent to the Sant’Antimo Abbey near Montalcino) ceded to the Bishop of Lucca all the assets it had there (1177). Destroyed by the Montecatinesi and by the Lords of Maona during the war between Pistoia and Lucca (1177) it was reconstructed at the beginning of the XIII century; in 1314 in the struggles between the Pistoiesi families of Panciatichi and Cancellieri, it was conquered by the Panciatichi allied to Lucca and thence aggregated to the dominion of Castruccio Castracani, until at the death of this Lord from Lucca it was manned by Castlllians named by Firenze. Together with Pistoia, to whom Firenze had returned the custody of the fort in 1353 to unburden itself of the expense necessary for its upkeep, it was then annexed in 1401 to the Fiorentino State.

Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford

 
 
 
   
 
return to top of page
   
       
  Terra di Toscana

© All rights reserved Polimedia di Laura Fumoni
Via Landucci 39 - 50136 - Firenze - P.IVA 05575950489 - REA C.C.I.A.A. FIRENZE N. 559547
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia

 
  Advertising | About us | Contacts | Site search | Copyright | Privacy | Cookie policy