Inhabitants in 1991: 6.493
municipal territory of Monteroni extends for 105,75 square kilometres
in the Val d’Arbia on the low heights which follow the river and
in little valleys formed by the river Sorra. The community has origins
in 1810 with its detachment from Buonconvento.
In the middle of the 1200s Monteroni was a modest village of the
Siena county and its development is tied to the patrimonial expansion
of the hospital of Santa Maria della Scala di Siena, which bought the
land in that area: first nucleus of Monteroni grew around the fortified
mill which the hospital had built at the beginning of the 1300s.
it was included in the Vicariate of Lucignano d’Arbia but its request
to be constituted in autonomous Vicariate was not accepted. In 1554
it was attacked and conquered by the Imperial troops passing thus
under the Fiorentino dominion. Of notable interest is the fortified
farm (grancia) at Cuna, with Medieval buildings perfectly conserved.
|Places to visit:
The Mill, fortified being part of the Cuna Farm.
Historical info reproduced upon authorization of
Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e
Picture by Sandro Santioli
Translated by Ann Mountford