Home Cuisine Landscape and nature Architecture and art Sport Accommodation Visiting Gadget Learning Arts and Crafts The way we were Organized tours Home Cucina Paesaggio e natura Arti e Mestieri Sport Accoglienza Visitare Gadget A scuola di... Architettura e arte Come eravamo Tour organizzati
Italiano
English
Visiting
Visiting
Visita il Mugello, culla dei Medici, a due passi da Firenze e le bellezze toscane
 

Visiting Tuscany

 

 
 

Towns of the area

22 / 39

Monteverdi Marittimo

Town web Hotels Farmholidays Restaurants

Inhabitants in 1991: 755

The municipal territory of Monteverdi Marittimo extends for 98,35 square kilometres in the high valley of the river Cornia, on the southern slopes of the Metalliferous hills. The autonomous community has origins from the Leopoldine reforms.

The history of the Monteverdi Castle is linked to that of the Abbey of San Pietro at Palazzuolo (founded in 754), to whom it belonged thanks to the donations made to the Monks in 1063 by Ugo della Gherardesca. In 1230 Monteverdi was placed under the political guidance of the municipality of Massa and in 1308 the village was surrounded by walls, but in 1340 it became too demanding for the Abbots to guarantee the safety of the location, and it was ceded to Volterra. Conquered in 1405 by Firenze, in 1431 by the Appiani, in 1447 by the troops of Alfonso d’Aragona, it returned to Volterra in 1449, who kept it until the Fiorentina annexation in 1472. In 1665 the Grand Duke Ferdinando II raised it into Grand Duchy feudal with the title of Marquisate and assigned it to the Volterra noble Ferdinando Incontri, it remained with his heirs until it was constituted in autonomous community (1776). In 1920 it added the denomination of Marittimo.

Places to visit:
S.Pietro in Palazzuolo, the ruins of this 1200s Abbey which had an imposing bell tower are a short distance outside the town.

Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford

 
 
 
   
 
return to top of page
   
       
  Terra di Toscana

© All rights reserved Polimedia di Laura Fumoni
Via Landucci 39 - 50136 - Firenze - P.IVA 05575950489 - REA C.C.I.A.A. FIRENZE N. 559547
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia

 
  Advertising | About us | Contacts | Site search | Copyright | Privacy | Cookie policy