Inhabitants in 1991: 1.323
municipal territory of Palazzuolo extends for 108,90 square kilometres
in the mountainous area of the Valle del Senio and is part of the so called
Romagna Toscana. Feudal lands then Seat of Captaincy in the Medieval
era, it reached its present day territorial aspect in 1775.
The municipal territory had, in the Medieval era, the name of "Podere
degli Ubaldini", in that it was feudal to this powerful Earldom lineage.
Coming from a donation, certainly not spontaneously, from
Ubaldini to the Firenze republic in 1362, it was then decided that
it should change the name to "Podere (or Alps) Fiorentino", and,
and quashing the last feudal resistance by force in 1373, it proceeded
in the part more adapted to the area of building a public palace
for the residence of a Vicar: and this is the origin of the centre
village was formed progressively divided in two parts by the river Senio,
becoming a mountain community of some importance for its border position.
Under the Medici the Vicariate was transformed in a Captaincy and, with
the Leopoldina reform of 1772, the only Podesta office remained at Palazzuolo.
For centuries almost isolated form the rest of the world, it had a certain
development in 1841, with the opening of the carriagable Tosco-romagnola
|Places to visit:
Palazzo dei Capitani,
building from 1387 has a four sided tower with clock. Houses the civic
library and the Museum of Peasant and Artisan Civilization.
Abbey of Susinana, outside the town today transformed
into a farm villa.
Historical info reproduced upon authorization
of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi
Picture by Sandro Santioli
Translated by Ann Mountford