Home Cuisine Landscape and nature Architecture and art Sport Accommodation Visiting Gadget Learning Arts and Crafts The way we were Organized tours Home Cucina Paesaggio e natura Arti e Mestieri Sport Accoglienza Visitare Gadget A scuola di... Architettura e arte Come eravamo Tour organizzati
Italiano
English
Visiting
Visiting
Visita il Mugello, culla dei medici, a due passi da Firenze e le bellezze toscane
 

Visiting Tuscany

 

 
 

Towns of the area

26 / 39

Peccioli

Town web Hotels Farmholidays Restaurants

Inhabitants in 1991: 4.989

Situated in the Val d’Era on a height which dominates the mouth of the river in the plain, the municipal territory of Piccioli extends for 92,63 square kilometres, Seat of Podesta office, it was declared capital of the community in 1776 by Pietro Leopoldo.

A castle, the property of the Counts della Gherardesca, Peccioli was sold in the XII century to the Bishop of Volterra. Several times stronghold of the resistance of the Val d’Era castles against the expansionistic aims of Pisa, it was conquered by the same in 1163. The Imperial concession of political and military jurisdiction of that area to Pisa caused centuries old contrasts with the Volterra Bishop, who in 1284 taking advantage of the Pisana defeat at Meloria, put Peccioli under the protection of Firenze in exchange for half of the duties on salt and the copper mines. Reconsigned to Pisa the following year with the condition that the walls be taken down, but they could in reality only take effective possession in 1293 with the peace of Fucecchio. In 1406, on the surrender of the Pisa republic, Peccioli was subjugated to the republic of Firenze, under whose dominion they remained – except for a brief period of occupation by Piccinino, Captain of the Duke of Milano in 1431, and a brief rebellion in 1529 when during the siege of Firenze they took in the troops of The Prince of Orange – until the Unity of Italy sharing the fate of the Grand Duchy of Toscana.

Places to visit:
S. Verano, Provostal of XII century, remodelled in 1800. The added oratorio conserves the 1600s inlaid ceiling and important paintings.

Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford

 
 
 
   
 
return to top of page
   
       
  Terra di Toscana

© All rights reserved Polimedia di Laura Fumoni
Via Landucci 39 - 50136 - Firenze - P.IVA 05575950489 - REA C.C.I.A.A. FIRENZE N. 559547
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia

 
  Advertising | About us | Contacts | Site search | Copyright - Disclaimer | Press Kit