Home Cuisine Landscape and nature Architecture and art Sport Accommodation Visiting Gadget Learning Arts and Crafts The way we were Organized tours Home Cucina Paesaggio e natura Arti e Mestieri Sport Accoglienza Visitare Gadget A scuola di... Architettura e arte Come eravamo Tour organizzati
Italiano
English
Visiting
Visiting
Visita il Mugello, culla dei Medici, a due passi da Firenze e le bellezze toscane
 

Visiting Tuscany

 

 
 

Towns of the area

27 / 39

Pomarance

Town web Hotels Farmholidays Restaurants

Inhabitants in 1991: 7.120

The municipal territory extends for 227,54 square kilometres in the Val di Cecina, on the summit and slopes of a hilly spur, at the centre of a zone of borax fumarole. A municipality of Leopoldina origin, it suffered a territorial reduction in 1870, when the districts of Sasso and di Leccio were detached from it and aggregated to Castelnuovo Val di Cecina.

Pomarance (once called Ripomarance) has origins as a Castle whose dominion was contested for several centuries by the Bishop and the municipal of Volterra. Regardless of the privileges agreed on in 1186 by the future Emperor Enrico VI to the Ecclesiastic authority, it seems the predominance was held by the municipal as is attested in successive acts of subjugation on the part of the inhabitants of the castle, even though until the reforms of the Volterra statutes, the rector, elected among the Volterra citizens continued to receive the investiture by the Bishop. Occupied in 1431 by Niccolò Piccinino, on the payroll of the Duke of Milano, and ransacked in 1447 by the army of King Alfonso d’Aragona, then beaten by the troops sent by Firenze, Pomarance passed under the direct government of the Fiorentina republic in 1472, when Volterra left, beaten in the war with Firenze for the possession of the Allume mines. In 1513 with the return of the Medici in Firenze, it re-acquired the power to elect its own magistrates and at the fall of the Fiorentina republic remained in the power of the Duchy and then the Grand Duchy of Toscana, sharing the fate of the Grand Duchy until the Unity of Italy.

Places to visit:
S. Giovanni Battista, Romanic church. The three nave interior preserves frescoes by Aldemollo and other precious works of art.

Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford

 
 
 
   
 
return to top of page
   
       
  Terra di Toscana

© All rights reserved Polimedia di Laura Fumoni
Via Landucci 39 - 50136 - Firenze - P.IVA 05575950489 - REA C.C.I.A.A. FIRENZE N. 559547
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia

 
  Advertising | About us | Contacts | Site search | Copyright | Privacy | Cookie policy