Inhabitants in 1991: 7.274
municipal territory of Ponte Buggianese extends for 29,47 square kilometres
in the plains of the Valdinievole, at the northern margins of the Fucecchio
marshes. It was an autonomous municipality from 1883 when it was
detached from Buggiano.
The history of Ponte Buggianese is fairly recent, the area, marshy and
malarial, was in fact drained by Pietro Leopoldo only in the second
half of the XVIII century. The village, on the edge of the ancient
marsh, began to appear inhabited around 1745.
|Places to visit:
S. Michele Arcangelo, 1600s church
radically transformed. The interior is frescoed by Pietro Annigoni.
Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford