Home Cuisine Landscape and nature Architecture and art Sport Accommodation Visiting Gadget Learning Arts and Crafts The way we were Organized tours Home Cucina Paesaggio e natura Arti e Mestieri Sport Accoglienza Visitare Gadget A scuola di... Architettura e arte Come eravamo Tour organizzati
Italiano
English
Visiting
Visiting
Visita il Mugello, culla dei Medici, a due passi da Firenze e le bellezze toscane
 

Visiting Tuscany

 

 
 

Towns of the area

22 / 28

Roccastrada

Town web Hotels Farmholidays Restaurants

Inhabitants in 1991: 9.377

The municipal territory of Roccastrada extends for 284,37 square kilometres in a hilly zone of medium mountains, which descend to the south towards the Grosseto plain. In the Medieval it was an Aldobrandeschi dominion, then capital of a Podesta Office, originally comprising in its borders the district of Montepescali, aggregated from 1905 to the municipality of Grosseto.

In a privilege by Pope Innocenzo II of April 1140, Roccastrada was cited as an important settlement. Subjected from the X century to the Aldobrandeschi dominion, it was assigned in 1274, at the moment of the division of the Aldobrandesca county, to Count Ildebrandino of the Santa Fiora branch, who a few years later in 1283, gave hospitality inside the walls of Roaccastrada to the exiling Siena Ghiblellini. In 1301 the ancient family of Counts renounced their rights on the castle ceding it to the Siena republic, who incorporated Roccastrada in their county. After a brief attempt of recuperation by the Aldobrandeschi in 1315, which cost the castle the destruction of its walls, Roccastrada remained under the Lords of Siena and successively to those of Montalcino and, from 1559, to the Mediceo Grand Duchy. Among the capital’s districts with particular historic interest, above all in the Medieval era, are Montemassi and Sassoforte, the two castles immortalised by the celebrated murals of Simone Martini portraying Guidoriccio da Fogliano (who besieged both these locations in 1328); and Roccatederighi, which takes its name from Tederigo, vassal to the Aldobrandeschi. On 24 July 1921 Roccastrada was the theatre of a bloodthirsty raid by the Fascist Squad, who left ten victims. During the Liberation struggle in this zone there developed and intense partisan activity which for five days, from 19 to 24 June 1944, held the German troops occupied until the arrival of the Allies.

Places to visit:
S. Niccolò, from the XIII century it underwent several remodellings. The façade is from 1954. In the interior there is a beautiful baptismal font form the XVI century.

Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford

 
 
 
   
 
return to top of page
   
       
  Terra di Toscana

© All rights reserved Polimedia di Laura Fumoni
Via Landucci 39 - 50136 - Firenze - P.IVA 05575950489 - REA C.C.I.A.A. FIRENZE N. 559547
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia

 
  Advertising | About us | Contacts | Site search | Copyright | Privacy | Cookie policy