Home Cuisine Landscape and nature Architecture and art Sport Accommodation Visiting Gadget Learning Arts and Crafts The way we were Organized tours Home Cucina Paesaggio e natura Arti e Mestieri Sport Accoglienza Visitare Gadget A scuola di... Architettura e arte Come eravamo Tour organizzati
Italiano
English
Visiting
Visiting
Visita il Mugello, culla dei Medici, a due passi da Firenze e le bellezze toscane
 

Visiting Tuscany

 

 
 

Towns of the area

30 / 36

San Giovanni d’Asso

Town web Hotels Farmholidays Restaurants

Inhabitants in 1991: 938

The municipal territory of San Giovanni d’Asso extends for 66,36 square kilometres between the plain and the hills of the Val d’Asso. Feudal territory, Community Seat from 1777, it reached its present day aspect in 1877 with the aggregation of the district of Montisi detached from the municipality of Trequanda.

The San Giovanni d’Asso castle (which takes its name from its parish church of Longobarda origins) was feudal in the middle of the XII century to Count Paltonieri di Forteguerra who in 1151 pawned it to the Siena municipality. Its history is a dense succession of dominations by diverse Lordly families: from Viscount Ugolino Scolari, who in 1178 submitted it to the Siena sovereignty, to the Ardengheschi di Civitella. In 1256 the Buonsignore acquired the castle’s jurisdiction which then passed to the Salimbeni (from the start of the XIV century) and to the Petroni: in fact from the second half of the 1200s the landed property of the citizens was dominant in the whole of its territory. Only in the middle of the 1400s did Siena place San Giovanni, who had been in the orbit of their political dominion for centuries, under its own direct administration. In the municipal territory the district of Montisi had a notable history as fortified centre first feudal to the Scialenghi Cacciaconti (XII century) then, at least from the second half of the XIII century, as a Castrense (walled centre) Municipal, from 1295 property of the Spedale della Scala who organised it as a Grange.

Places to visit:
The Castle, constructed in 1200 and dominates the ancient little village. There are several works of art conserved there among which a 1400 fireplace and laundry.

Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford

 
 
 
   
 
return to top of page
   
       
  Terra di Toscana

© All rights reserved Polimedia di Laura Fumoni
Via Landucci 39 - 50136 - Firenze - P.IVA 05575950489 - REA C.C.I.A.A. FIRENZE N. 559547
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia

 
  Advertising | About us | Contacts | Site search | Copyright | Privacy | Cookie policy