Inhabitants in 1991: 792
Sillano territory extends for 62,15 square kilometres at the head of the
Serchio on the spur which forks from the Appenninica watershed and penetrates
between the valleys of the two source branches of the Serchio.
Recorded for the first time in a document of 793, the village of
Sillano was originally the dominion of the Malaspina and local Lords
the nobles di Doraio, otherwise known as the Dalli Counts. Inserted into
the Vicariate of Camporgiano, Sillano was under the dominion of Lucca
until 1446 when it passed to Leonello d’Este di Ferrara. The
centre followed the successive events of the Garfagnana history.
Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford