Home Cuisine Landscape and nature Architecture and art Sport Accommodation Visiting Gadget Learning Arts and Crafts The way we were Organized tours Home Cucina Paesaggio e natura Arti e Mestieri Sport Accoglienza Visitare Gadget A scuola di... Architettura e arte Come eravamo Tour organizzati
Italiano
English
Visiting
Visiting
Visita il Mugello, culla dei Medici, a due passi da Firenze e le bellezze toscane
 

Visiting Tuscany

 

 
 

Towns of the area

36 / 39

Stia

Town web Hotels Farmholidays Restaurants

Inhabitants in 1991 : 3,017

The Municipal territory of Stia extends in the Casentino for an area of 62,71 square kilometres at the foot of Monte Falterona, and is crossed by the high course of the Arno. A Roman settlement on the road which rises from the Arno, crossing the Apennines to reach San Godenzo, it was a feudal centre ; from 1872 an autonomous municipality, united to Pratovecchio in 1929, it reached its present day aspect in 1934 with the aggregation to it of the districts of Papiano and Ponte d’Arno, taken from the Pratovecchio territory, and the zone comprised between the river Arno, the streams Vicena and Asinaia and the borders of the province of Firenze.

Recorded in a document of 1054, Stia belonged to the Porciano branch of the Counts Guidi and was for centuries the “mercatale” (marketplace) of the aforementioned Castle. Around 1230, Count Baldino had a sumptuous dwelling constructed, called il Palagio, on the banks of the Staggia stream, from which developed a new conglomeration which joined itself to the village already in existence on the mountain, renamed then as Stia Vecchia. It was like this that the branch of the Counts called “di Palagio” was started, they maintained possession of the land of Stia until the village was put under siege by the Fiorentina republic (1402) and Count Antonio who was the last of this branch was ousted. Under the trust of Firenze the Municipality of “del Palagio Fiorentino” was constituted, the result of the union of the Municipality of Montemezzano with the rural residences of Lonnano, Papiano, Stia Vecchia and the Borgo di Stia. The noted jurist and man of politics Bernardo Tanucci (1698-1783), Court Minister to Carlo di Borbone and then valuable adviser, to Ferdinando V, was born in this area. During the last war the entire town underwent destruction, raids and reprisals, the most grave being that of April 1944 in the Vallucciole zone which provoked more than one hundred victims.

Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford

 
 
 
   
 
return to top of page
   
       
  Terra di Toscana

© All rights reserved Polimedia di Laura Fumoni
Via Landucci 39 - 50136 - Firenze - P.IVA 05575950489 - REA C.C.I.A.A. FIRENZE N. 559547
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia

 
  Advertising | About us | Contacts | Site search | Copyright | Privacy | Cookie policy