Inhabitants in 1991: 1.325
territory of Vagli Sotto extends for 41,02 square kilometres in the valley
of the river Edrom, in the Garfagnana. It reached its present day aspect
in 1929, when the district of Arni was detached and aggregated to
the municipality of Stazzema.
Subjected to the dominion of the Careggine in the middle centuries
of the Medieval, the municipal territory became part of the republic
of Lucca in the middle of the 1200 and then in 1451 it was consigned
to the Estensi, remaining in the Emiliano State until the Unity of
Italy. The episode most relevant to the recent history of the municipality
was verified in 1953; when the construction of the Vagli Dam was
finished, the valley of the river Edron was transformed into a Hydroelectric
basin and the settlement of Fabbrica di Careggine with the stretch of
plains which was of the best agricultural land was submerged.
Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford