Home Cuisine Landscape and nature Architecture and art Sport Accommodation Visiting Gadget Learning Arts and Crafts The way we were Organized tours Home Cucina Paesaggio e natura Arti e Mestieri Sport Accoglienza Visitare Gadget A scuola di... Architettura e arte Come eravamo Tour organizzati
Italiano
English
Visiting
Visiting
Visita il Mugello, culla dei Medici, a due passi da Firenze e le bellezze toscane
 

Visiting Tuscany

 

 
 

Towns of the area

7 / 7

Vernio

Town web Hotels Farmholidays Restaurants

Inhabitants in 1991: 5.464

The municipal territory of Vernio extends for 63,28 square kilometres in the Valley of the Bisenzio in low, medium and high hills. The municipality had its origins as a feudal centre and has maintained in time its aspect of a sparse municipality, reaching its present day aspect in 1984 with the aggregation of two areas removed from the municipality of Barberino di Mugello.

In ancient times it was an Etruscan settlement and then a Roman Colony, it probably takes its name from the encampment of the Roman militia directed in Gallia who had wintered there. At the end of the X century the Vernio territory was the dominion partly of the Cadolingi Counts di Fucecchio and partly of the Counts Alberti di Prato, the latter inheriting it fully at the beginning of the XII century. In 1164 in an investiture certificate conceded to the Alberto degli Alberti Counts, Emperor Federico Barbarosso officially instituted Vernio as feudal destined to remain autonomous for nearly seven centuries. The Alberti maintained possession until 1322 when they sold it to the Fiorentini Palla Strossi and Chiavello Machievelli for 10,000 florins: the purchase was in fact made on behalf of Piero di Gualterotto dei Bardi, who installed his Lordship on the land in 1336, in 1355 Emperor Carlo IV conferred, strictly according to the law, the name of Imperial Vicars of Vernio on the Fiorentina family dei Bardi. Vernio remained their Lordship during various events and with a not florid standard of living, until September 1797 when it was annexed to the republic Cisalpina installed by Napoleone and united to the departmental administration of Bologna. The Vienna Congress in 1815 established that Vernio should be part of the Grand Duchy of Toscana. During the last war the territory was crossed by the Gothic Line, which brought destruction and mourning for the population, who actively participated in the Liberation struggle.

Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford

 
 
 
   
 
return to top of page
   
       
  Terra di Toscana

© All rights reserved Polimedia di Laura Fumoni
Via Landucci 39 - 50136 - Firenze - P.IVA 05575950489 - REA C.C.I.A.A. FIRENZE N. 559547
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia

 
  Advertising | About us | Contacts | Site search | Copyright | Privacy | Cookie policy