Home Cuisine Landscape and nature Architecture and art Sport Accommodation Visiting Gadget Learning Arts and Crafts The way we were Organized tours Home Cucina Paesaggio e natura Arti e Mestieri Sport Accoglienza Visitare Gadget A scuola di... Architettura e arte Come eravamo Tour organizzati
Visita il Mugello, culla dei Medici, a due passi da Firenze e le bellezze toscane

Visiting Tuscany



Towns of the area

2 / 36

Abbadia San Salvatore

Hotels Farmholidays Restaurants

Inhabitants in 1991: 7.243

The municipal territory of Abbadia San Salvatore extends for 58.92 square kilometres on the eastern slopes of Monte Amiata and the valley of the river Paglia. It had its origins as a Medieval monastic feudal; in 1777 it became capital of a very large community from which in 1867 were removed the districts of Campiglia d’Orcia, Bagni di San Filippo and Caselle del Vivo, aggregated to the municipal of Castiglione d’Orcia.
The origins of Abbadia San Salvatore are tied to the same name Benedettina Abbey founded in the middle of the VIII century by the Longobardo Nobles Erfo; subjected to the authority of the Apostolic Seat and contemporarily under Imperial protection, the Abbey already had means to extend its territorial domain from Maremma to the Val di Chiana at the end of the 700s. During the XII century around the Abbey the habitat of Abbadia developed over which the monks exercised their jurisdiction. But in contrasting events between the Abbey and the powerful Feudal Lords Aldobrandeschi, determined to usurp the rights of the monks, the monastery was forced to reorganise their possessions: of which the men of the Abbadia castle took advantage and in 1212 after a brief period of subjection to Orvieto, obtained a sort of autonomous municipal, while for the crisis of the Benedettino order, in 1228 the Pope entrusted to Abbey to the Cistercensi. It came into the possession of Siena after the battle of Montaperti, at the beginning of the 1300s Abbadia was reconquered by the Orvietani who ceded it to the Aldobrandeschi; and in 1347 it was sold by them to the republic of Siena for 4,500 florins, then becoming part of the Fiorentino State in 1559. During Fascism, the presence of a working class developed, formed in prevalence by mine workers, which established the reason for the tenacious struggle against Fascism. From the second half of September 1943 when the Germans had already assumed control of the coal mines, the first groups of partisans began to establish themselves on the Armata, these supported the struggles of the miners employed in acts of sabotage and of defence of the most important structures from the German destruction.

Places to visit:
Medieval Village, exceptionally well preserved, it is an interesting example of a mountain castle with Gothic and Renaissance houses.
Abbey of S. Salvatore, founded in 743 it became in a short time the richest Abbey in Toscana. The church was reconstructed in Romanic form in 1036. The Latin cross, single nave interior was remodelled in 1590; it hosts precious works of art. The underlying Crypt is interesting, it contains 36 columns with finely sculptured capitals.

Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford

return to top of page
  Terra di Toscana

© All rights reserved Polimedia di Laura Fumoni
Via Landucci 39 - 50136 - Firenze - P.IVA 06790950486 - REA C.C.I.A.A. FIRENZE N. 656544
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia

  Advertising | About us | Contacts | Site search | Copyright | Privacy | Cookie policy