Home Cuisine Landscape and nature Architecture and art Sport Accommodation Visiting Gadget Learning Arts and Crafts The way we were Organized tours Home Cucina Paesaggio e natura Arti e Mestieri Sport Accoglienza Visitare Gadget A scuola di... Architettura e arte Come eravamo Tour organizzati
Visita il Mugello, culla dei Medici, a due passi da Firenze e le bellezze toscane

Visiting Tuscany



Towns of the area

4 / 39


Town web Hotels Farmholidays Restaurants

Inhabitants in 1991 : 10,969

The Municipal territory of Bibbiena extends over an area of 86,41 square kilometres of the Valdarno Casentinese, dominated by the ridge of Pratomagno and of the Tosco-Romagnolo Apennine mountains. Antique possession of the Bishops of Arezzo, it became the capital of the municipality by a decree of 1776 when twelve other hamlets were united with it, among which Moggiona and Prataglia, subsequently passed to the municipality of Poppi.

Almost certainly of Estrucan origin, Bibbiena, since the X century belonged to the Bishops of Arezzo. In 1289, after the battle of Campaldino, it was conquered and devastated by the Fiorentini ; in the XIV century it returned to the possession of the Bishop of Arezzo Guido Tarlati, and after his death passed to his brother Pier Saccone, who yielded Arezzo to the Fiorentini in 1336 but retained the dominion of Bibbiena. It was the centre of hostile action against Firenze it was besieged and conquered by the Fiorentini in 1360, who made it the Podesta office (the Fiorentino story teller Franco Sacchetti lived there as Podesta in 1377). In 1440 it was occupied by the mercenaries of Niccolò Piccinino in the service of Filippo Maria Visconti, Duke of Milano and in 1498, it became the general quarters of Piero and Giuliano dei Medici, who had been expelled from Firenze, it was besieged and devastated again by the Fiorentini, who eleven years later, in 1509, pulled down the walls and the towers. At the return of the Medicea dynasty however, Bibbiena enjoyed many privileges conceded by Leone X. Bibbiena saw the birth of Cardinale Bernardo Dovizi, capable diplomat to the Pontifical Court of Leone X, protector of the most celebrated intellects of his time (among these Raffaello) and author, among other things, of the Boccaccio style comedy Calandria. During the second world war the population of the municipality suffered grave reprisals : in the village of Partina, which was invaded by the Nazis in April 1944, a great number of inhabitants were massacred.

Places to Visit:
Palazzo Comunale, 1500s palace near which ran the perimeter of the walls.
S.Lorenzo, Church of 1474 with three naves enriched by prestigious works of art among which a terracotta glass panel from the studio of Della Robbia.
Ippolito, Provost founded in at the start of the XII century, already the chapel of the Tarlati Castle it was remodelled several times, and finally taken back to the style of the1300-1400s. The Latin cross interior, embellished with frescos, conserves valuable works of art

Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford

return to top of page
  Terra di Toscana

© All rights reserved Polimedia di Laura Fumoni
Via Landucci 39 - 50136 - Firenze - P.IVA 06790950486 - REA C.C.I.A.A. FIRENZE N. 656544
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia

  Advertising | About us | Contacts | Site search | Copyright | Privacy | Cookie policy