Inhabitants in 1991: 30.646
municipal territory of Camaiore situated in Versilia, extends for 84,59
square kilometres occupying most part of the submontane basin and the
pleasant slopes of the Tyrrhenian mountain sides of the Alpi Apuane.
The oldest documents relative to Camaiore go back to the VIII century
and are mostly acts of donation of land to the Benedettino monastery of
San Pietro, which was built on municipal territory. It then developed
under the jurisdiction of Lucca. The village, surrounded by walls towards
the middle of the XIV century, in 1429 underwent a ruthless sackage
by the Fiorentine militia captained by Rinaldo degli Albizzi and again
the following year by the troops of Milano led by Piccinino. It
fell into the hands of the Visconti in 1436, and then again taken by the
Fiorentini the following year, Camaiore passed definitively to Lucca
in 1442, and subsequently followed their destiny. It was raised
to City in XIX century by the interest of the Borboni. It is the birthplace
of the musician Francesco Gasparini (1668-1727) and Ermenigildo
Pistelli philologist and writer (1862-1927).
|Places to visit:
Municipal Archaeological Museum,
organised in the antique building Tori-Massoni, exhibiting finds from
the area surrounding the city.
Collegiata, Romanic church
of 1278 in the centre of the town.
La Badia, ancient church
founded by the Benedettini in 760. the three nave interior preserves
a huge marble Baroque altar.
Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford