Home Cuisine Landscape and nature Architecture and art Sport Accommodation Visiting Gadget Learning Arts and Crafts The way we were Organized tours Home Cucina Paesaggio e natura Arti e Mestieri Sport Accoglienza Visitare Gadget A scuola di... Architettura e arte Come eravamo Tour organizzati
Visita il Mugello, culla dei Medici, a due passi da Firenze e le bellezze toscane

Visiting Tuscany



Towns of the area

9 / 17


Hotels Farmholidays Restaurants

Inhabitants in 1991: 3.949

The municipal territory of Fosdinova extends for 48,99 square kilometres in a hilly zone, in the low Lungiana. Originally a Lordly centre, it reached its present day territorial extension in 1983 with the detachment of the districts of Gragnola and Cortila, annexed to Fivizzano.

Raised as a castle in which had settled a Lucca Longobardo guild, who had guessed the importance of the place of transit, in the XI and XII centuries Fosdinova was always allied to the Bishops of Luni against the Malaspina. Nevertheless it was just this great Lordly family, with the decline of the Bishop’s power, who obtained possession until the XIII century. In the successive decades Spinetta Malaspina strengthened it to the point that it became, with the investiture of Carlo IV, the political-military centre of the branch of the so called Spino Fiorito. When in 1442, his exponents obtained the Duchy of Massa, the castle passed to a secondary branch, and it developed a modest but dignified court, defended by the fortress “well equipped and full of arms”. The municipality’s history does not seem to have seen remarkable disruptions until the XVIII century, when a phase of unrest began, perhaps caused by the internal discord of the dominant dynasty, perhaps for the aim of external powers such as the Grand Duchy of Toscana and the Malaspina di Pallerone. The last Marquis of Fosdinovo was relieved of his Podesta Office by the French in 1798 and with the Restoration the land finished up with the Duchy of Modena. Administratively united to Massa, Fosdinovo actively participated in the Risogimental events. The municipality had to endure hard times during the last war in as much as, other than the persecution by the Nazi troops, for its position it was the object of numerous bombardments aimed at the breaching of the “Gothic Line”.

Places to visit:
The Castle, construction of origins preceding the acquisition by the Malaspina from 1300s. It was modified around the XVI century to make it less military and more residential.
S. Remigio, parochial church which encloses the marble sepulchre of Galeotto Malaspina.

Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford

return to top of page
  Terra di Toscana

© All rights reserved Polimedia di Laura Fumoni
Via Landucci 39 - 50136 - Firenze - P.IVA 06790950486 - REA C.C.I.A.A. FIRENZE N. 656544
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia

  Advertising | About us | Contacts | Site search | Copyright | Privacy | Cookie policy