Home Cuisine Landscape and nature Architecture and art Sport Accommodation Visiting Gadget Learning Arts and Crafts The way we were Organized tours Home Cucina Paesaggio e natura Arti e Mestieri Sport Accoglienza Visitare Gadget A scuola di... Architettura e arte Come eravamo Tour organizzati
Visita il Mugello, culla dei Medici, a due passi da Firenze e le bellezze toscane

Visiting Tuscany



Towns of the area

17 / 43


Town web Hotels Farmholidays Restaurants

Inhabitants in 1991: 20.540

The municipal territory of Fucecchio extends for 65,13 square kilometres in the plains of Valdarno Inferiore, between the same name marshes and the Arno. It had its origins as a feudal centre; then Medieval Podesta Office, and became Seat of the Community in 1774.

Of this capital there is certain mention from the X century. Around the year 1000 the Lords were the Counts Cadolingi di Borgo Nuovo; on the death of the last of these Ugo in 1113, the centre passed partly to the Upezzinghi di Pisa and partly to the Episcopate of Lucca; in 1187 however Emperor Enrico VI conceded to the Fucecchio men to build a castle without any payment of property, freeing them from any type of subjection they may have had in that moment; this demonstrated the acquisition of a sort on autonomy confirmed by the fact that gradually in the course of the following centuries Fucecchio grew in importance (thanks also to its position on the Via Francigena) enlarging its own dominion over numerous neighbouring rural communities surrounding it.

In 1260 following the Ghibellina victory at Montaperti, Fucecchio gave safe shelter for the exiting Fiorentini Guelfi, and did so again in 1315 after the battle of Montecatini. In 1323 when the castle by now gravitated into the Fiorentina political orbit, Castruccio Castracani Lord of Lucca occupied it by a trick : but after a few hours was forced to flee for the violent counter attack by the town folk, one of whom it seems even managed to wound him in the face with a blow from a bill hook. Two years later the castle again gave refuge to part of the Fiorentino army defeated at Altopascio; in 1330 lastly , together with Castelfranco and Santa Croce, Fucecchio asked to come under the Fiorentina jurisdiction and remained with it since then. Under the Medici, the Fucecchio marshes became, as well as for the community which lived there, a place for hunting and fishing for the sovereign and the court and tried to transform it into a lake; the land reclamation of the marshes was achieved by Pietro Leopoldo in 1778 with the lowering of the weir. During the Italian Risorgimento, Giuseppe Montanelli (1813-1862) from Fucecchio played a primary role in the regional events. During the course of the second world war the town suffered damage and losses.

Places to visit:
Palazzo of the Podesta, enriched by a portico and the coats of arms on the facade.
Town Hall. rich which an historical archive with Medieval parchments.
S. Giovanni Battista, ancient collegiate, it was radically transformed in the XVIII century. Houses precious works of art.

Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford

return to top of page
  Terra di Toscana

© All rights reserved Polimedia di Laura Fumoni
Via Landucci 39 - 50136 - Firenze - P.IVA 06790950486 - REA C.C.I.A.A. FIRENZE N. 656544
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia

  Advertising | About us | Contacts | Site search | Copyright | Privacy | Cookie policy