Home Cuisine Landscape and nature Architecture and art Sport Accommodation Visiting Gadget Learning Arts and Crafts The way we were Organized tours Home Cucina Paesaggio e natura Arti e Mestieri Sport Accoglienza Visitare Gadget A scuola di... Architettura e arte Come eravamo Tour organizzati
Visita il Mugello, culla dei Medici, a due passi da Firenze e le bellezze toscane

Visiting Tuscany



Towns of the area

21 / 39


Town web Hotels Farmholidays Restaurants

Inhabitants in 1991 : 3,349

The Municipal territory of Lucignano, extends for 44,90 square kilometres, partly hill and partly in the underlying plain, between two tributaries of the Canale Maestro della Chiana, the stream Esse and the channel Vertege, and in antique times it was crossed by the Via Cassia Adrianea ; the capital is situated on the summit of a hill which is part of the ridge of the Monti di Palazzolo. It was probably a Longobardo settlement, then a free community and in the end Seat of a Vicariate.

Lucignano, claiming to be founded by the Roman family of Licinia, is noted for the first time in the XI century in some parchments belonging to the Abbey of Agnano in Val d’Ambra. But its history is little documented at least until the second half of the 1200 : one supposes that the little town, in this period, was freely governed, giving in to indirect domination by Arezzo. After the battle of Campaldino the victorious Fiorentini left Lucignano, together with Monte San Savino, under a sort of protectorate by Siena ; It returned under Arezzo during the first half of the 1300s, in 1336 during the war between Arezzo and Perugia the castle passed to the community of Perugia. It re-conquered its independence in August of 1343, but was constricted to submit from the beginning of 1353 to Firenze then in 1370 to Siena ; with the conquest of Arezzo and its district by the Fiorentina in 1384, Firenze regained possession of Lucignano, even though it entailed an expenditure of 8,000 gold florins to Siena. In 1390 it was again conquered by Siena with the help of the troops of the Gian Galeazzo Visconti, Duke of Milano, Lucignano began a long dependence to the republic of Siena which held it for 1½ centuries ; only in 1553 did it come under the authority of the Mediceo State, who made it capital of a Vicariate which hosted the resident magistrates alternatively with Monte San Savino.

Places to Visit :
The entire Medieval walled village, which has remained intact to this day.
Town Hall, 1300 building decorated by stone coats of arms, with a fresco decorated interior. Some of the rooms are adapted to the Corporation Museum, in which is exhibited the Albero di Lucignano and enormous reliquary in the form of a tree, the work of goldsmiths from Siena.
S . Francesco, 1300 church with Roman facade with divisions in grey and white , has an Egyptian cross interior. The works of art within are noteworthy.
S. Michele Arcangelo, collegiate in1594 admirably inserted in the urban context
Madonna delle Querce, Sanctuary going back to the second half of the 1500s, built on a design by Vasari.

Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford

return to top of page
  Terra di Toscana

© All rights reserved Polimedia di Laura Fumoni
Via Landucci 39 - 50136 - Firenze - P.IVA 06790950486 - REA C.C.I.A.A. FIRENZE N. 656544
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia

  Advertising | About us | Contacts | Site search | Copyright | Privacy | Cookie policy