Inhabitants in 1991: 3.390
Montaione territory on the watershed between the Val d'Egola and the Val
d'Elsa extends for 104,90 square kilometres in the hills. Medieval
Podesta Office, constituted as community in 1774, has suffered more
than one variation to its territorial surface, the last, which determined
its present day aspect, happened in 1876 when the districts of
Castelnuovo and Coiano were aggregated to Castelfiorentino, and in 1917
when the district of Gambassi, with Varna, Catignano and Castagno were
raised to autonomous municipality.
The capital is recorded for the first time in an act of donation
in 981 and until the middle of the XIII century it was one of the
municipalities dependent to the district of San Miniato and its jurisdiction.
In 1268 however Montaione, tired of that government offered
its castle to San Gimignano; a dispute was started that took the Firenze
republic's intervention to put in order, and who among other things sentenced
the return of the castle to San Miniato. Montaione did not approve
of this and detached itself in 1369 taking advantage of the defeat of
San Miniato against Firenze to whom they consigned an act of dedication;
entering officially as part of the Fiorentino county in April of 1370,
becoming the Seat of a Podesta. The controversy with San Miniato however
went on at length over the possession of a part of the territory called
the Selva di Camporena. In 1529 Montaione was occupied by the Spanish
of Carlo V. In 1814 the Podesta Office was suppressed and was restored
|Places to visit:
Palazzo Pretorio. building going back to the XV century,
has the facade rich with heraldic shields. Today it is the Seat of
the Community Museum.
S. Regolo, ancient parish church
of XII century. The bell tower is from 1795. It houses an important
painting depicting the Madonna col Bambino.
Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford