Home Cuisine Landscape and nature Architecture and art Sport Accommodation Visiting Gadget Learning Arts and Crafts The way we were Organized tours Home Cucina Paesaggio e natura Arti e Mestieri Sport Accoglienza Visitare Gadget A scuola di... Architettura e arte Come eravamo Tour organizzati
Visita il Mugello, culla dei Medici, a due passi da Firenze e le bellezze toscane

Visiting Tuscany



Towns of the area

25 / 43


Town web Hotels Farmholidays Restaurants

Inhabitants in 1991: 3.390

The Montaione territory on the watershed between the Val d'Egola and the Val d'Elsa extends for 104,90 square kilometres in the hills. Medieval Podesta Office, constituted as community in 1774, has suffered more than one variation to its territorial surface, the last, which determined its present day aspect, happened in 1876 when the districts of Castelnuovo and Coiano were aggregated to Castelfiorentino, and in 1917 when the district of Gambassi, with Varna, Catignano and Castagno were raised to autonomous municipality.

The capital is recorded for the first time in an act of donation in 981 and until the middle of the XIII century it was one of the municipalities dependent to the district of San Miniato and its jurisdiction. In 1268 however Montaione, tired of that government offered its castle to San Gimignano; a dispute was started that took the Firenze republic's intervention to put in order, and who among other things sentenced the return of the castle to San Miniato. Montaione did not approve of this and detached itself in 1369 taking advantage of the defeat of San Miniato against Firenze to whom they consigned an act of dedication; entering officially as part of the Fiorentino county in April of 1370, becoming the Seat of a Podesta. The controversy with San Miniato however went on at length over the possession of a part of the territory called the Selva di Camporena. In 1529 Montaione was occupied by the Spanish of Carlo V. In 1814 the Podesta Office was suppressed and was restored in 1846.

Places to visit:
Palazzo Pretorio. building going back to the XV century, has the facade rich with heraldic shields. Today it is the Seat of the Community Museum.
S. Regolo, ancient parish church of XII century. The bell tower is from 1795. It houses an important painting depicting the Madonna col Bambino.

Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford

return to top of page
  Terra di Toscana

© All rights reserved Polimedia di Laura Fumoni
Via Landucci 39 - 50136 - Firenze - P.IVA 06790950486 - REA C.C.I.A.A. FIRENZE N. 656544
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia

  Advertising | About us | Contacts | Site search | Copyright | Privacy | Cookie policy