Home Cuisine Landscape and nature Architecture and art Sport Accommodation Visiting Gadget Learning Arts and Crafts The way we were Organized tours Home Cucina Paesaggio e natura Arti e Mestieri Sport Accoglienza Visitare Gadget A scuola di... Architettura e arte Come eravamo Tour organizzati
Visita il Mugello, culla dei Medici, a due passi da Firenze e le bellezze toscane

Visiting Tuscany



Towns of the area

25 / 36


Hotels Farmholidays Restaurants

Inhabitants in 1991: 1.300

The municipal territory of Tadicofani extends for 118,46 square kilometres in hills and mountains between the Val d’Orca and the Val di Paglia. Feudal centre, then free municipality, it reached its present day aspect in 1777 with the Leopoldina reforms, when it was aggregated to the community of Contignano. The Radicofani castle is found nominated for the first time in 973, while its village, called “Callemala”, was attested at least a century before. Royal property, the castle was the object of dispute during the XI century between the Abbey of San Salvatore al Monte Amiata, who had numerous possession in the zone and the Aldobrandeschi Counts; it passed under the Lordship of the Counts of Chiusi, part of it was donated by these in the first half of the XII century to the Siena Episcopate, even though formally the Abbey maintained the rights over it. But the danger of falling under the Siena dominion induced the Abbots to ask for help from the Church and to cede Tadicofani in perpetual lease (1153). Involved in the war between Ottone IV and the Pope (1210-1214) and then in that between Firenze and Siena (1229-1235), in the middle of the XIII century Radicofani was organised in municipal with its own statutes and with ample autonomy; but in 1263, having given shelter to the exiling Siena Guelfi, it was for the most part destroyed by the Ghibelline forces. Still at the centre of political struggles in Toscana between the 1200s and 1300s, it was in this period that the legendary figure of Ghino di Tacco of the Count di Guardavalle stock, and Ghibellino rebel took over the fortress of Radicofani in 1295, making it the base of his venture of highwayman-gentleman recorded by Dante and Boccaccio. In 1352 Siena managed to obtain the submission of Radicofani, where at the end of the century after lengthy negotiations the Salimbeni settled there who in 1405 ceded the possession of the castle to the Siena republic. Again occupied by Salimbeni rebels and then by Adventurer Captain Tartaglia di Lavello, Radicofani was sold by him to Siena which in 1417 had a new fortress constructed. During the war of Siena the castle was besieged in vain by the troops of Cosimo dei Medici, until in 1559 it became part of the Mediceo State. The nucleus, collected at the feet of a solid cliff on which rise the ruins of the castle, preserves the Lordly characteristics of a Medieval habitat.

Places to visit:
The Fortress, certainly the oldest part of the fortifications of the village, built in diverse times, the restored keep holds archaeological finds.
Palazzo Pretorio, today the Municipal Seat, it has its façade enriched with coats of arms.
S. Agata, church dedicated to the towns patroness, it façade is Gothic style. The interior holds a work of Andrea della Robbia.
S.Pietro, church erected in the XIII century. There are some works from the Robbiana school in the interior.

Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford

return to top of page
  Terra di Toscana

© All rights reserved Polimedia di Laura Fumoni
Via Landucci 39 - 50136 - Firenze - P.IVA 06790950486 - REA C.C.I.A.A. FIRENZE N. 656544
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia

  Advertising | About us | Contacts | Site search | Copyright | Privacy | Cookie policy