Inhabitants in 1991: 4.975
municipal territory of Rapolano extends for 83,07 square kilometres on
the hills of the high valley of the river Ombrone. Feudal centre then
Podesta office it became Seat of Community in 1777.
The Rapolano castle was originally part of the dominion of the Scialenghi
Counts who in 1175 gave it to the municipality of Siena in partnership.
But its strategic position on the eastern borders of the Siena
State made it the target of enemy raids: in 1208 it was devastated by
the Fiorentini and again in 1233 by the united army of Firenze and Orvieto;
again in 1253 it was practically destroyed by Firenze. Declared Seat
of Podesta office towards 1277, Rapolano over the following years
was the refuge of the exiled Siena Guelfi and then in 1277 of the Ghibelline,
until the same Siena government at the beginning of the 1300s was forced
to order the destruction of the castle walls. By the middle of the 1300s
all the fortifications were already restored, but the military hostility
between Siena and Firenze dragged the castle towards an economic and social
decline. With the fall of Siena in 1554, Rapolano also became
part of the Mediceo State. From 1949 the name of the municipality
was transformed from Rapolano to that of Rapolano Terme.
|Places to visit:
Tintori Gate, imposing XIV century construction.
Terme di S. Giovanni Battista, said to have been frequented
by Santa Caterina of Siena.
Terme Antica Queciola, already known of in the Roman era. Garibaldi
used it to cure a wound.
S.Vittore, parish church in Romanic style, with a three nave
Chiesa della Fraternita, ancient construction, holding a precious
fresco from 1500s.
Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford