Home Cuisine Landscape and nature Architecture and art Sport Accommodation Visiting Gadget Learning Arts and Crafts The way we were Organized tours Home Cucina Paesaggio e natura Arti e Mestieri Sport Accoglienza Visitare Gadget A scuola di... Architettura e arte Come eravamo Tour organizzati
Visita il Mugello, culla dei Medici, a due passi da Firenze e le bellezze toscane

Visiting Tuscany



Towns of the area

31 / 43


Town web Hotels Farmholidays Restaurants

Inhabitants in 1991: 12.601

The municipal territory of Reggello extends for 121,22 square kilometres prevalently in the mountains, from the north eastern slopes of Pratomagno to Valdarno Superiore. Ancient Medieval Podesta Office with the name of Cascia it reached its present day territorial aspect in 1840,when the parishes of San Clemente and Santa Maria di Sociana were annexed to it.

The present day Reggello is, probably, what was in ancient times called Castelnuovo della pieve di Cascia, as is shown by two Papal edicts in 1103 and 1134, and which was different from Castelvecchio di Cascia, property of the Guidi Counts, where in 1248 some Fiorentini Guelfi expelled from the Ghibellina district which were at the time dominant in Firenze, found refuge. It passed under the dominion of the Fiorentina republic between the end of the XIII and the beginning of the XIV centuries, the Cascia castle was fortified in 1385, costing 2,000 pounds granted by the Toscano capital.

The renaming as Reggello, was taken as signifying the capital of the community, arising from the Grand Duke Pietro Leopoldo's law in 1773. In the Reggello community territory and having even greater historic value is the almost 1000 year old Vallombrosa Monastery, founded by San Giovanni Gualberto de' Visdomini and Mother Basilica to the Vallombrosano Order. The importance of the little hermitage constituted in the year 1000 grew rapidly for the numerous donation of the surrounding land, the Abbot already had the title of Count of Magnale conferred on him by Matlde di Canossa and, in XV century that of Marquis di Canneto and Monteverdi. It was reconstructed in the second half of the 1400s in a form adapted to the importance it had acquired and then again in the middle of the XVI century after it had been badly damaged by the militia of Carlo V in 1519, the monastery was suppressed by the Napoleonic laws in 1808. Reconstituted in 1817, and again suppressed by the Italian Government in 1866. It is from 1963 that the congregation returned totally in possession.

Places to visit:
S. Pietro. ancient parish church of Cascia with a portico. the interior houses precious works of art including a triptych by Masaccio.

Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Picture by Antonio Barletti
Translated by Ann Mountford

return to top of page
  Terra di Toscana

© All rights reserved Polimedia di Laura Fumoni
Via Landucci 39 - 50136 - Firenze - P.IVA 06790950486 - REA C.C.I.A.A. FIRENZE N. 656544
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia

  Advertising | About us | Contacts | Site search | Copyright | Privacy | Cookie policy