Terra di Toscana www.terraditoscana.com

Towns of the area

27 / 28


Hotels Farmholidays Restaurants

Inhabitants in 1991: 1.462

The municipal territory of Semproniano extends for 81,44 square kilometres on the mountainous crest between the valleys of Albegna and Fiora. Dominion of the Aldobrandeschi in the Medieval period it was created in 1963 by the detachment of the capital and the districts of Petricci and Tocchette from the municipality of Roccalbegna, that of Cellena from the municipality of Santa Fiora and Catabbio from the municipality of Manciano.

Called, until its recent constitution as autonomous municipality, Sampugnano, perhaps derived from the Roman family of Sempronia. Mentioned for the first time as “hamlet” in a purchase deed of 849, it is also found in a privilege emanated by Pope Clement III in favour of the Sovana church (1188). Together with the nearby castle of Rocchette it appears also in the act of division in 1216 between the sons of Ildebrandino degli Aldobrandeschi. In 1274 at the moment of the Aldobrandeschi county division, and again in 1297 Semproniano was confirm to the Santa Fiora Counts, For the whole of the 1200s it was included in the influential sphere of the municipality of Orvieto, then from the first half of the 1300s it was affirmed to the Siena authorities, so that between 1339 and 1345 the castle was included in the submission to the Santa Fiora Counts. Dominated subsequently by the Orsini Counts, it was seized by the Siena militia in 1410. It suffered in subsequence a progressive process of decadence until in 1536 it was irreparably devastated by an attack by the Spanish troops.

Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford

Terraditoscana © Polimedia - All rights reserved
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia - P.IVA 06790950486