Home Cuisine Landscape and nature Architecture and art Sport Accommodation Visiting Gadget Learning Arts and Crafts The way we were Organized tours Home Cucina Paesaggio e natura Arti e Mestieri Sport Accoglienza Visitare Gadget A scuola di... Architettura e arte Come eravamo Tour organizzati
Visita il Mugello, culla dei Medici, a due passi da Firenze e le bellezze toscane

Visiting Tuscany



Towns of the area

38 / 39


Town web Hotels Farmholidays Restaurants

Abitanti nel 1991: 1.237

The Municipal territory of Talla, in the Valdarno Casentinese, occupies an area of 60.18 square kilometres which reach from the south eastern slopes of the ridge of Pratomagno to the low hills which slope down towards the right bank of the Arno. It was inhabited in Etruscan times, a feudal centre, it reached its present day aspect in 1809 with the creation of the “mairies” : the community of Castel Focognano was deprived of a part of its territory (comprising the districts of Talla, Bagnena, Bagno, Bicciano, Pieve, Pontenano, Capraia, Faltona and Campovecchio) which formed the new community of Talla.
Talla is certainly of Etruscan origin (confirmed by the discovery in 1888 of a necropolis), it was recorded for the first time in 1057 in a document stipulated by a certain Ugo del fu Grifo and his son Ardingo “in castro Talla”. It seems in fact that before passing under the Lordship of the Ubertini di Chitignano in 1249, the Castle of Talla was probably dominated by a branch of a local lineage the Ardinghi di Catenaia. In 1314 it became part of the possessions of the Tarlati and at the death of Bishop Guido it again returned under the Ubertini, who, however, in 1353 obliged it to submit to the sovereignty of the Firenze republic, who conquered Talla definitively with all the district of Arezzo in 1384. The Castle with its territory was then aggregated to the Podesta office of Castel Focognano. Talla claims the merit of having given birth to Guido di Arezzo, better known as Guido Monaco, inventor of the modern system of musical notation (997-1050ca.). During the last war most of the township was burnt down in July 1944.

Places to Visit :
Parish church of San Niccolò with the astonishing decorations on the ancient organ frame.
Piazzetta Landi, with its characteristic colonnades and with the Monument to the Fallen by Domenico Purificato. 

Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford

return to top of page
  Terra di Toscana

© All rights reserved Polimedia di Laura Fumoni
Via Landucci 39 - 50136 - Firenze - P.IVA 06790950486 - REA C.C.I.A.A. FIRENZE N. 656544
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia

  Advertising | About us | Contacts | Site search | Copyright | Privacy | Cookie policy