Home Cuisine Landscape and nature Architecture and art Sport Accommodation Visiting Gadget Learning Arts and Crafts The way we were Organized tours Home Cucina Paesaggio e natura Arti e Mestieri Sport Accoglienza Visitare Gadget A scuola di... Architettura e arte Come eravamo Tour organizzati
Visita il Mugello, culla dei Medici, a due passi da Firenze e le bellezze toscane

Visiting Tuscany



Towns of the area

10 / 39

Castelfranco di Sotto

Town web Hotels Farmholidays Restaurants

Inhabitants in 1991: 10.834

The municipal territory of Castelfranco di Sotto extends for 48,32 square kilometres in the plain formed between the right bank of the Arno and the course of the Usciana canal, in the zone of Baldarno Inferiore. It had its origins as a Medieval Podesta office and its extension was modified in the course of time. Lastly in 1910 the district of Orentano was aggregated to the municipality detached from Santa Croce sull’Arno.

Situated in the area in which was founded, around the year one thousand, the most important nucleus of settlements of the Cadolingi Counts, Castelfranco saw its first development in the XIII century when surrounded by walls and towers the castle was populated under the stimulus of concessions and tax exemptions to the new inhabitants. In 1262 Castelfranco was taken by the Ghibellino army led by Count Guido Novello, Vicar to King Manfredi in Toscana. Four years later its inhabitants where subjugated to the republic of Pisa, who received them under their protection but they conserved their right to approve the nomination of a Podesta and a Notary. Disputed by the Guelfi and Ghibellini, in 1328 during the war between the Fiorentini and the Lucchese, the castle changed protector, entrusting itself to Firenze. It successively remained faithful to the Lilied City, constructing one of the most important frontier settlements of the Fiorentino State. The full tide of the Arno in 1333 destroyed the surrounding walls which were however rebuilt and are in part visible today. The painter Antonio Puccinelli (1822-1897) was born at Castelfranco.

Places to visit:
Palazzo Comunale, elegant 1400s construction with portico
S. Pietro, collegiate remodelled in 1700 on an already existing building of the 1200s. The interior holds two prestigious wooden statues from 1300s.

Historical info reproduced upon authorization of Regione Toscana - Dipartimento della Presidenza E Affari Legislativi e Giuridici
Translated by Ann Mountford

return to top of page
  Terra di Toscana

© All rights reserved Polimedia di Laura Fumoni
Via Landucci 39 - 50136 - Firenze - P.IVA 06790950486 - REA C.C.I.A.A. FIRENZE N. 656544
Press registration n. 5528 10/11/2006 - Editor Polimedia

  Advertising | About us | Contacts | Site search | Copyright | Privacy | Cookie policy